Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day -1 Last Round!



Today is the day that I get the Melphalan - the last round of my chemo regimen. (The "M" in BEAM). The conceit here is to power down popcicles and ice chips for an hour while the poison is being infused. This is to protect the mucus membranes in my mouth and throat from absorbing too much of the poison in the tissues, which can cause terrible mouth sores. So, I'm being a trooper and trying my best to keep it chill!

Julie brought in some sorbet bars - blackberry and lemon - and the staff is feeding me ice chips. Kind of fun (though a little vodka in the ice might hold my attention better...)

More visitors expected today - my musical friends and family - Towny, Heidi, Jen and Tod are all showing up in a bit to play and talk and generally hang out at the VIP Sky Lounge!

3 comments:

  1. Hey- Let's hear it for popicles and ice chips! You are incredible. The dance performance must've been amazing. I saw some previews for it. Hang in there! I am so impressed with your stories and postive twist on your situation.

    Love you, MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,
    I had a telephone conversation with Julie today and she probably told you I send you big hugs. Your are both unbelievable troopers regarding this journey. We send you all sorts of positive energy for your upcoming bone marrow transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD! It is officially your chemo birthday in the Midwest and I just wanted to be the first to wish you well. Here's to you, Dad.

    ReplyDelete